Celebrate Independence Day in Arvada
Wednesday, July 4
Gates open to vehicles at 7 p.m.
Fireworks begin approximately 9 p.m.
Stenger Sports Complex (W. 58th Ave. and Oak St.)
The 4th of July in Arvada
Since 1979, the City of Arvada has celebrated Independence Day with a spectacular fireworks display at the Stenger Sports Complex. Beginning in 2002, the Arvada Festivals Commission expanded the event to include vendors, live music, and other activities.
This year, Arvada’s Independence Day Celebration returns to its roots, focusing on the core of the holiday–fireworks! For the past few months, the Festivals Commission, City staff including the Police Department, and City Council have reviewed the 4th of July event in terms of resource allocation, staffing, and volunteers. In recent years, organizing a day-long event has become increasingly difficult. Problems included:
- Insufficient volunteers
- Police department staffing levels are impacted by the amount of resources needed to manage the event and surrounding neighborhoods adequately. The PD staffing schedule is compressed for the event, limiting available resources days prior to and after the event.
- Minimal community vendors and food vendors interested in participating
- Limited parking
- Conflicts with the surrounding neighborhood
- Inability to secure sufficient traffic barricades and cones due to high level of construction in the metropolitan area
After much conversation and based upon the recommendation of the Festivals Commission, the City has made the decision to return the 4th of July celebration to its original intent–a display of fireworks in the evening to celebrate America’s independence.
Things to Note
- Gates open to vehicles at 7 p.m.; Fireworks begin approximately 9 p.m.
- Free parking on a first-come, first-served basis
- W. 58th Ave. will shut down to traffic beginning 8 p.m.
- Handicap parking available in the Stenger northeast parking lot
- No Recreational Vehicles allowed
- Only propane grills allowed
- No alcohol, personal fireworks, or pets are allowed
City of Arvada Communication Manager Maria VanderKolk, 720-898-7507
NO personal fireworks, alcohol or animals are permitted at the sports complex.
NO overnight camping allowed.
NO Drones allowed in the park, parking lot, or around the fireworks.
Please leave your pets at home. Expect a lot of people, a lot of activity, and loud noises.
Will update when more details are given.
After the Fireworks, traffic will be held for 20 minutes to allow pedestrians to leave safely.